July 18, 2020 presented by Axed Root
Gates Memorial Hall
825 15th Street
Nevada, IA 50201
Directions to Site: Take your best route to I-35 at Hwy 30 near Ames, Iowa. Take Hwy 30 East to Nevada, Iowa. Take Exit 158 to 19th Street. Turn North on 19th Street. Turn East on H Avenue. Gates Memorial Hall is on the North Side of the Street, just past Nevada High School.
- Site opens at 8:00 AM for Entrants
- Site opens at 9:00 AM for Judges & Populace
- Site closes at 7:00 PM
- Site is Wet only for Brewing Entries
- An Inn will be Available (More information will be available on this page at a later date.)
- Adult Registration: $15
- Adult (Member Discount): $10
- Youth Registration (ages 5-17): $5
- Child Registration (under 5): Free
Make Checks Payable to: SCA Inc. – Canton of Axed Root
Pre-Registration via PayPal E-Pay should be available in June. For more information, visit https://calontir.org/calontir-e-pay/
This tournament is broken into two parts, Tri-Levels and Championships. The entrants who are competing in the Championship level are vying to be named the Kingdom Arts & Sciences Champion. Each championship entrant must submit three entries from separate Arts & Sciences categories, which will be judged at the advanced level.
The Arts & Sciences champion is determined by highest combined points from the scoring of the three submitted entries. The winner is responsible for having their name added to the scroll of honor which they will keep until the next Arts & Sciences Competition. The champion will also receive a baldric to wear that marks them as the current Kingdom Arts & Sciences champion.
Tri-Level competition is when the entrant is competing against the criteria for the item that they have entered. The entrant can be judged at the Novice, Intermediate, or Advanced level. The judges may ask the entry be judged at a higher level that entered based on the overall work. There is competition is open to anyone, there are no AOA level restrictions with this tournament like with Queens Prize.
Tri-Levels are a non-competitive jurored activity where participants compete against the current Calontir Arts & Sciences Criteria and not one another. Entries are judged against Novice, Intermediate, or Advanced Criteria as directed by the entrant.
Entrants may enter in multiple categories, with no more than three entries per one entrant.
Entries that have been entered in previous Tri-Levels, Queen’s Prize Tournament, or Arts & Sciences Championship (or out-of-kingdom equivalents) may not be entered in this competition.
Tri-Level Entry Submissions will open in late May or early June. Please check this space for more information at a later date.
The Championship is a jurored competition sponsored by the Kingdom of Calontir.
Entrants must have three entries in three distinct disciplines. Entries may be all Arts or all Sciences or any combination of the two, so long as separate criteria will be used to judge each entry.
Entries that have been entered before in any Arts & Sciences Championship or equivalent outside Calontir, Queen’s Prize Tournament or equivalent, or Tri-Levels are not eligible for entry.
Judging will be conducted in a face-to-face manner based on the current Advanced Criteria.
Championship Entry Submissions will open in late May or early June. Please check this space for more information at a later date.
This event requires a large pool of individuals to volunteer as Judges for all the amazing entries. To make sure you are signed-up to judge for Kingdom Arts & Sciences, verify your information at the Calontir Arts & Sciences Judges Database. If you need to sign up to judge, fill out the Judges Database Sign-up Form.
Area Food and Lodging Options
Due to the Summer Iowa Games, a sizable sporting event, occurring in nearby Ames on the same weekend, the hotels and restaurants in the Ames-Nevada area may be fairly busy. Please check with your hotel of choice early, or consider staying in Ankeny or the Des Moines are, just a short drive South on I-35.
Food Options in Nevada include:
- Starbuck’s Drive-In [Not the Coffee Chain] (1620 W Lincoln Hwy, Nevada, IA 50201) –
- McDonald’s (1815 South B Avenue, Nevada, IA 50201)
- Mi Casita (1115 6th Street, Nevada, IA 50201)
- Snack Time Family Restaurant (1010 6th Street, Nevada, IA 50201)
- Subway (1109 6th St, Nevada, IA 50201)
Food options in nearby Ames, IA include:
- Hickory Park
- Dublin Bay Irish Pub & Grill
- Jethro’s BBQ Steak n’ Chop
- Budget Inn & Suites (1521 South G Avenue, Nevada, IA 50201) – http://www.budgetinn-iowa.com
- Queen Anne Bed and Breakfast (1110 9th Street, Nevada, IA 50201) – http://www.queenannebedandbreakfast.com
- A number of popular chain hotels are also available in nearby Ames, IA. These can be easily found via a Google Search